The Custodianship Process

Students younger than 19 years of age who come to Canada to study and who are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is know as custodian. The custodian must be over 19 years of age, a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada and assume responsibility for the student. 

To establish a recognized Custodianship in Canada two notarized documents are required.

The first page needs to be signed by the person who will serve as the student’s Custodian. This document confirms that a local individual is available and willing to represent the parent’s interests in ensuring that the student has adequate care and support.

The second needs to be signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minor child and notarized in your home country. This document confirms that the natural parents give permission for the assigned Custodian to act on their behalf.


Custodianship / Guardianship